Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Job Level:
We are currently seeking a Referral/Authorization Coordinator who will be responsible for servicing the needs of patients by receiving phone calls from both members and referrals from providers to facilitate the authorization and coordination of referrals utilizing pre-approved screening criteria in compliance with contracted Client's requirements.
We are looking for individuals that have some front desk Medical Office experience (someone who has worked with requesting authorizations) or someone with referral or authorization experiences. The person needs to have excellent data entry skills and language skills. Bilingual Spanish preferred.
- Receives phone calls and faxed referral requests from providers.
- Verifies member eligibility and benefits.
- Inputs all referral requests including ICD-9 and CPT codes into system accurately for electronically generated authorization tracking.
- Provides referral authorization to external providers per UM Departmental Policy and Procedures and specific contracted Client's process.
- Requests submission of appropriate medical records according to established criteria for requested service(s).
- Issues authorization within appropriate timeframe for routine, urgent and emergent requests.
- Appropriately forwards all referral requests to the next level of review.
- Coordinates approved outpatient surgical procedures in specialist's office and/or outpatient surgical facilities with health plan's authorization department when applicable.
- Coordinates approved services with Home Health Providers, Plan discharge Planners and Plan Members as delegated or required by Plan.
- Is resource person for PCP to refer to network specialist(s).
- Compiles monthly departmental statistics.
- Distributes correspondence and other information to the appropriate parties or departments.
- Maintains appropriate logs, records, and reports as established by Utilization Department.
- Documents and communicates areas of concern to supervisor.
- Identifies providers who are problematic with plan requirements.
- Adheres to company HIPAA policies and procedures.
- Ensures integrity of data entry is accurate.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
Experience & Skills Required
- Two years related experience needed.
- Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization. Good verbal skills including good diction and grammar. Ability to communicate English and Spanish Preferred. Ability to communicate effectively and accurately over the telephone.
- Computer Skills: Data entry skills and intermediate Word, Excel.